From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:27:12 -0600
> > I made a split which produces queen cells

> This gives poor control, many queens raised under this method will
> have been the oldest possible larvae that could be converted.

I have often heard this said, but never seen *any* proof.  I have searched
for proof to back up this common assertion, even going as far as to pay the
IBRA for a search, but with no result.  Has *anyone* actually determined and
documented the probability of serious ill effects?  Or is this an
unsubstantiated assumption that keeps being repeated?  Much 'bee lore' is
often found to be false or only partially true.

I suspect that the variety of bee (and/or locale) may have a huge influence
on how well this technique works, and can only say, "It works for me".  Some
of us have used this technique on a commercial basis over a span of years,
with reasonable success.  I believe that Dave Green is one.  I am another.

My experience with this technique was that its success is largely dependant
on the skill of the beekeeper, since timing and colony condition is crucial
to success (see archives for much, much more detail).  Such splits made at
the wrong time, and under the wrong circumstances can fail, but made
properly, they can run around a 90% success rate.

We seldom have observed any deficiencies in the queens we obtained by this
method either, and the queens seemed to perform -- as far as we could see --
as well as purchased queens or queens obtained by much more laborious or
expensive methods.

Obviously there can be huge savings in labour and money using this method,
and, although there are some drawbacks, there are drawbacks to any method.
For a hobbyist or back yard beekeeper, this simple technique can be all that
is required.  for commercial beekeepers, it can be very handy when queens do
not arrive as expected or time is short.

>> I made a split which produces queen cells and reduce to the best
>> cell...

I always let the bees decide that.  What do I know?

allen