From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 05:30:22 -0500
>..and his final word on the subject was:

"Yes - pesticide contamination certainly
could be the cause of CCD"

Now is a busy time of year for me and unable to spend a great deal of time
in internet discussion but I will go on record as saying CCD *could*
directly be related to pesticide contamination. The focus among the
beekeeping community seems to be turning in the pesticide contamination
direction.

Beekeepers are looking:
Pesticide treated seed keeps coming up. Seems there are at least three
chemicals used. Which *seems* to explain why beekeepers in a certain area
are effected and not in another area as different chemical seed treatments
were used. Beekeepers are getting their ducks in a row.

Things are moving fast in beekeeping circles effected. Discussion is taking
place between the national organizations and at least one large chemical
company.

Maybe things can be worked out partly thanks to all the news media coverage.
I for one had a piece in the Kansas City Star last week. We all need to keep
public opinion on our side. *If* (big if) beekeepers can put a finger on the
possible source of the pesticide contamination and we have public opinion on
our side.
Best hope for now:
 Perhaps we can get the product pulled for long enough to see if the
situation gets better(maybe not in all areas but at least in certain areas
but too late for this year).

I hope (sincerely) that pesticide contamination from systemic seed treatment
is not the source of CCD. We have enough industry problems right now without
a growing problem. Pesticide treated side use is expanding.

 The beekeeping community has not the resources to go "head to head' with
the chemical company *without* public opinion on our side.

Right now *in my opinion* the beekeeping community is simply a thorn in the
chemical giants side but as the roar of public opinion gets louder the thorn
will need dealt with *in my opinion*.

I think the heads of the national organizations hope to solve the problem
*if pesticide contamination* through diplomatic channels instead of a long
and costly court battle.

For those (and there are people) which believe that pesticide contamination
*could not possibly be connected* (no way! Not a chance!) and believe the
published (and paid for) research by certain chemical companies go back to
sleep.

bob

--
believed to be clean.