From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:11:51 -0400
Greetings
We have bears in this area now, and believe me, they are not shy about going
right up on people's porches. Instead of the radio and lamp routine, why not
try an electric fence? (Much cheaper than running a halogen lamp all night).

I currently have about twelve yards in known bear areas, and so far, no bear
damage. I use solar chargers and heavy aluminum wire. The posts are about ten
feet apart, made of eucalyptus. Pretty easy to set up and maintain.

Some folks recommend a piece of bacon on the wire. I imagine if brother bear
bites that, he will get a jolt he will remember for a long time! PS Moving
bees short distances is a bad idea.

pb