From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:12:57 -0500
On 19 Feb 97 at 13:52, (Thomas) (Cornick) wrote: late winter early spring
management

> 1  Do the hives with very clean bottom boards exhibit the kind of hygienic
> behaviour that breeders are trying to select for?

Yes. This is one of the major factors on our hive assessment list.

> 2  Is there an advantage/disadvantage to making bottom boards with the
> opening in the long side (warm way) ?, as this is how the two logs I cut open
> with feral hives had their combs oriented.

We prefer the long side. There are a number of points why, but the main
one is better wintering. You need to think about this one!! With the long
side opening to the front the bees will invariably cluster opposite the
entrance, in the center of the frames. There are usually more stores in
the middle of the frame, than on the outer edges. But with the short side
opposite the entrance the cluster can be towards the back of the box,
towards the ends of the frames, just where there is less stores. In the
past I have pulled in dead-outs which had starved, up against the inner
cover, but with lots of stores at the front.

> Ok  trying not to be a pain in the posterior and I know this won't make the
> best of Bee-L but today getting out with my bees was a nice spring tonic.

Personally I don't care whether it makes the best of Bee-L or not, I like
the exchange of information without censorship!! Has anyone else noticed
how pleasantly quiet is has been on the list recently?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks