From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 18:27:02 -0500
Hello Dick and All,
The post script I wrote was  to teach new beekeepers. I wondered re reading
before sending if someone might get the wrong idea.
The whole sentance from my post without the highlight.
quote:
"WHEN READY TO PICK UP THE QUEEN FEEL CONFIDENT SHE WILL NOT STING YOU"

Dick wrote:
> I've been waiting for someone to make that assertion! I was stung by a
> queen once while trying to mark her. I mentioned the incident at a local
> beekeeping meeting. I wasn't believed.

I believe you Dick but I have been keeping bees over 40 years and have NEVER
been stung by a queen. If you read my post about handling worker bees you
will see the worker can be handled without being stung but will try to sting
if held wrong hurting her. In my opinion you were holding the queen wrong
and  so she  gave you a sting. Others have said they have been stung by the
queen but the instance is so rare it is in my opinion  really worth talking
about.
If a student would get stung I would be surprised  and act concerned but
life would go on.
  The main thing a first time handler of a queen should consider is not
hurting the queen rather than thinking they are going to get stung by the
queen at any time.
Thanks for making the comment Dick as others may have thought I said the
queen will never sting. She has the sting and we all know the wrath of a
women scorned  or hurt.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison