From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:58:39 -0500

> I was not blaming anyone.  I was simply stating a biological fact.
> Any
> movement of organisms, whether legal or illegal, eventually results
> is the
> movement of their parasites.

Randy,

   I was just at an invasive species conference.  One of the
presenters had several line charts showing the number of (identified)
invasives found in US ports by year.  He then laid over this main
means of transportation (boat, plane etc).

The rate of invasive finds greatly increased as the rate of
transportation.  So in the era of sailing boats there were few--add in
airplanes & the rate dramatically increased. add in container ships &
air transportation &........

The fact is that the number of unwanted, invasive, non-native
introductions increase with amount of world trade & the ease of world
transportation.  Thats why we have gotten three nasties in the last 20
years & just the usual suspects (AFB, EFB, some of the Apis m. brood
diseases) the preceding 140 years (1850-1990).  With the amount of
manufacturing goods coming from Asia there is no one surprised at the
number of invasive (plants, insects, microbes) coming here quickly
from that part of the world.

Move enough stuff from one place on earth to another fast enough &
your bound to move something you don't want.  Quarantines are only
supposed to reduce the risk they cannot not prevent it.   But once you
have what you don't want??????

My two cents
Mike