From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:44:19 -0800
Yeah, Peter brings up some good points as to why someone would not, rather should not give bees to another person, for their own use, under their own supervision, at their request, for whatever they wanted to do with them.

But this is not exactly practicing medicine without a license.  If it is, then so is giving someone a low-calorie recipe for potential weight loss.

And I wouldn't loan anyone my handgun purely for the reason they wouldn't take care of it the way I would want them to.  If they need to shoot some ground hogs in the garden, I might even do it for them.

I guess I refuse to allow the lawyers and the insurance companies to dictate our behavior over the possible threat of some potential liability.  If I really took the warnings to heart, I would never allow anyone to come to my house, never offer to buy someone's meal at a restuarant, never give anyone a ride in my car, never shake anyone's hand, never share an insight about a good place to buy shoes...all of which could be grounds for a lawsuit because I bear an element of responsibility if something didn't go right or someone wasn't satisfied.  Under current law, I'm better off to let someone burn to death rather than pull them from a burning vehicle.

Absurd?  Yeah.  Technically, even selling someone a jar of honey opens the door to potential lawsuits, even if the honey held no liability.  It's gotten to the point where we'll sue anyone over anything.  All you need is the right kind of lawyer and enough money for their retainer.

So I guess you're right, Peter.  I see your point and it has validity.  But it still wrinkles my shorts that our first thought is based on fear rather than a willingness to help someone with their request.

Grant
Jackson, MO