From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:54:36 -0500
Received a flyer from Mann Lake today called "Technical Update."  A 22" X
17", single fold, four color with some very LARGE copy basically selling the
new CheckMite+++ISI pest control strip.

On the front page, there is a heading that reads,
"CheckMite+++ISI Shows 30% Higher Efficacy Than Apistan!"

It goes on to say;

"A controlled efficacy study was conducted in Clear Lake, South Dakota to
evaluate the efficacy of four different products for control of Varroa
jacobsoni in honeybee colonies.  The products tested include Fluvalinate
strips, Permethrin strips, Coumaphos strips and Formic acid gel packs for 30
days. (Treatment period was 30 days - recommended treatment is 45 days.)

"+ICI-Treating varroa mites with Fluvalinate strips showed actual varroa
population increase of 64%.

"+ICI-Treating with Permethrin strips showed a 67% varroa mite reduction.

"+ICI-Treating with Coumaphos strips showed a 92% varroa mite reduction.

"+ICI-Treating with Formic Acid Gel packs showed a 26% varroa mite reduction."

Now if Andy were still with us, he would have a field day with this flyer
knowing how much he loved to counter the hype!  Doesn't this send up a red
flag to others when we are given a study to show "proof" of a products
outstanding performance and the study admits that the "other" (Fluvalinate)
products weren't used according to the manufacturer's guidelines of a
minimum of 45 days?

The other factor that isn't mentioned is if the Clear Lake area is already
known to have varroa that are resistant to fluvalinate for what ever reason.
Perhaps a study done in my area where mites are not resistant to fluvalinate
would yield a different result.

I'm amazed at the lengths Mann Lake will apparently go to sell this stuff.
I'm glad there is now an option for beekeepers to use when it comes to mite
treatment but to make a big deal about "Win a free trip!  Purchase 5 or more
100 packs of CheckMite+++ISI strips and your name is automatically entered in
the drawing" and quoting the kind of information they are, leaves this
beekeeper thinking I'd just as soon use other methods to treat for varroa
than to jump on the CheckMite+++ISI wagon.

-Barry

(views expressed are my own, opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own
risk.)

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois

See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html