From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 19:10:56 +0900
Paula Franke and Dan'l Sisson wrote re a swarm settling in a blackberry
thicket and how to attract this to the hive box.

We trap swarms frequently (even if we don't know they have issued).  When
scout bees go in in search of a new location they are attracted to old brood
comb or old frames heavily used by bees.  One year the location of choice
for several swarms in succession was a cardboard carton in which the frames
for repair had been stored.

My advice is to place the oldest daggiest brood combs you can find in the
hive box and place in clear view of the swarm, in sunlight, preferably with
a landmark such as a tree in the vicinity.  Then cross your fingers and hope
for the best. Placing the hive on something a metre or so high might assist
the scout bees to home in.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island