From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:18:12 -0800
Hi Steve,
>then either bee immune systems are getting less
>  robust or viruses are evolving more virulent strains or both.  Can you think of any logical reasons why this might be happening?

I'm guessing more virulent strains, coupled with low-to high level N
ceranae, and often poor nutrition.

RNA viruses mutate like crazy.  Virulent strains die out if colonies
are widely spaced, but not if they are close together.  Unfortunately,
there are tremendous numbers close together (tens of thousands close
together in Calif holding yards).

>    One thing that comes to my mind is that one or both of these factors
>  could be appearing as an inadvertent result of breeding programs that focus
>  on other more easily identifiable characteristics.
I agree.  Our focus has not been on diversity, outbreeding, and
conservation of genetic diversity.

> then it means the viruses have come home to roost.  What can be done  about it?  You would have to be willing to stop fighting certain things in certain ways, and let nature take it's course.

I think that Nature takes her course, whether we "let" her or not!  : )

>This is the position small cell organic beekeepers take, and
>  if they are right we will all owe them a great debt of gratitude one day,

Funny you should say,  I just corresponded with a prominent organic
beek (other than Dee) to ask about what they are experiencing with
virus problems.

One very large organic group in Calif is experiencing unprecedented
losses.  I'm visiting them next month.

I am not an organic beek myself, but I strongly support their efforts.
 Unfortunately, they are not immune to epidemics.

Randy Oliver