From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 10:02:06 -0400
Karen asks "What is and where do you get a "plastic quilt".

Make your own.  Get plastic feed bags from a nearby farm (used) or from a
local farm store.  Around here they come in two sizes; 60 lb. and 100 lb.
Someone who has horses is likely to give you all the 60 lb. size you want.

Put 'just a little' straw in each, fold to approximately fit the top of the
hive, staple closed (mine don't come with drawstrings), and use.  Mine last
about 3 years.  The bees will not tear them apart as they will burlap, but
they do propolize the bag to the top bars and when it is removed in the
spring you do some minor damage that builds up over the years.  Around here
the new bags sell for $.85 each, which I don't mind paying for three years
of service.  When I started I could get all the bags I wanted free, but I
lost my source...

Much much superior to an inner cover.

Lloyd