From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 23:03:24 -0300
Joel González-Cabrera, scientist at Rothamsted Research who led the study,
said: “We identified the mutations in a known hot-spot for pyrethroid
resistance on the sodium channel protein—a region proposed as the binding
site for these compounds. Together with our previous work on European
mites, this finding allows us to develop diagnostic screening tests to
analyse individual mites for the presence or absence of the mutations. The
diagnostic test should help beekeepers to decide whether to use
pyrethroid-based chemicals to control this highly damaging parasite.” -

The research was carried out by scientists working in Spain, the USA and
Germany in collaboration with a team at Rothamsted Research, which is
strategically funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research
Council (BBSRC). The study is published today in the journal PLOS ONE. -

See more at:
http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/news-views/what-makes-varroa-parasite-honey-bees-resistant-chemical-treatment#sthash.x8fqfKzr.dpuf