From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:43:34 -0400
Re: EFB and tylosin

* I had also heard that tylosin was not effective against EFB. There is
obviously some basis for this notion, although the following seems to
imply that it simply hasn't been *proven* effective.

> Feed colonies fumagillin in spring to prevent extra stress from nosema
infections. If treating EFB, use terramycin—not tylosin (Tylan).
Terramycin is known to work well, while tylosin has not been proven to
control EFB. When treating varroa mites, use “soft” chemicals such as
Apiguard, Apilife VAR, or MiteAway II. Do not use oxalic acid or other
“hard” chemicals, such as fluvalinate, coumaphos, or amitraz, which may
further stress the bees.

* I found this of interest, particularly since the NYS inspectors are
going about telling folks that they will condemn an entire colony to
burning upon finding even one cell of AFB.

> The current practice for AFB-infected beehives is to remove and destroy
any comb with AFB symptoms (by burning or burying them) and to treat the
colony with terramycin. Samples of diseased larvae are tested for AFB
resistance to tetracycline, and, if found, tylosin (Tylan) can be used
to treat the colony. Colonies are usually destroyed and burned only in
cases of heavy infestation and low bee populations.

* Thinking: Maybe it is time to rewrite the outmoded laws on the books!

--

SOURCE:
PEST MANAGEMENT STRATEGIC PLAN FOR HONEY BEES IN THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES