Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:37:12 +0000
At 22:08 13/12/1996 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi David!
>At 18:03 13/12/96 +0000, you wrote:
>>Can a colony have multiple Laying Queens either by accident,design or
>>Natural inclination.
>>
>> I have heard of four separate colonies in the University of Cardiff,
>>Wales(U.K)discovered in a swarm.
>>
>>I have heard that  Dutch and American Beekeepers deliberately have colonies
>>with two queens. Is this true and if so Why is it done ???????
>>
>Quotes from Ron Brown:
>
>"More honey from less equipment"
>"Automatic Re-queening every year"
>"Control of swarming"
>"Stronger, Healthier Colonies"
>"Best preparation for the Heather"
>"Option of Increasing Stocks"
>
>I have tried it but things do go wrong quite easily.
>

>  Try to get hold of the pamphlet "A Simple Two-Queen System" by Ron Brown
>He published it privately in 1980.  BBNO may still have it.  Ron is at 20
>Parkhurst Road, Torquay, Devon.  But I am sure some one in Cheshire BKA has
>a copy you could borrow.  Are you a member?  There is sure to be an
>Association Library.

Thank you for that bit of advice I will make some enquiries

>You know that swarms often contain several virgin queens.  However I don't
>think these can be considered separate colonies in one swarm.  Of  course
>separate fresh swarms can be thrown together to make a large one.  The bees
>just select one queen.  Another example of advanced decision making!>

The swarm in question was on a car bumper in the car park of Cardiff
University and
so to get it off the car was driven at speed onto a carpet. as it braked the
swarm fell off and reassembled itself into 4 groups each with a queen.

It was this that sparked my interest in the possibility of multiple
compatible queens in a hive, especially when told that it was a common habit
in Holland.

> Thanks again Glyn and a Happy Christmas

David Warr
 Warrington