From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 08:21:15 -0600
At 10:10 AM 30/04/97 EDT, you wrote:
>        I inspected my strongest hive last Saturday 4/26/97 and found eggs
in the
>queen cells along the bottom of the second deep. I use a slatted rack. This
hive was
>requeened last fall.
>
>        What are recommended courses of action. I have a four frame
>and a five frame nuc available. I have ordered a queen, I'm not sure when
>it will arrive. I have no extra drawn deep comb.
>
>        My choices seem to be:
>                - make a couple of nucs to reduce the population
>                - let things alone and see what happens
>                - do a split with a new queen
>                - do a split without a queen
>                - put on a third deep and checkerboard the with
>                        new foundation and the comb from the two deeps.
>                - ?
>
>        What should be the timing for any of these and what should
>I be loooking for? I'm not trying to maximize my honey production as much
>as I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
>

>        Jim Moore
>        Massachusetts
>        Second Year of Beekeeping
>        4 hives (3 std, 1 tbh from package 4/17/97)

If you want to learn then just let them go and see what happens.

You might try setting out bait hives and in doing so retrieve any swarms
that issue.

For fun, let these cells develop and then carefully cut them off and use the
cells to start another hive.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0