From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:31:59 -0600
Peter said:
> So you think the taxpayers should buy bees for these guys to restock their
hives, knowing full well the bees may simply disappear again, and nobody
knows why ???

I certainly do! I said LOAN! Not giveaway!
Maybe you are willing to let an industry lose its commercial beekeepers and
orchard industries dependent on bees but I am not!

Do you really think guys like Brian A. will put their hives on pallets and
do the nations pollination? You Peter? Since WW2 the numbers of commercial
beekeepers has dropped.

> Heck, this is an even better plan than big giveaways to Wall Street.

I agree!

> You know, I don't have a very difficult time imagining what the average
> taxpayer would think of such an idea.

Most are concerned with the plight of the honey bee and want to buy local
and U.S. products. You might be surprised at the response of most taxpayers.

What does the list think? Loans to help the commercial beekeepers in trouble
stay in business or let the equipment go in sheds and orchards close the
doors as for the crops pollinated without bee pollination raising those
crops is not profitable.

Hey getting hives to pollinate can't be bought at Wall mart or sent from
China like imported honey for your pancakes! Less than 2000 commercial
beekeepers out of 300 million people do the nations pollination.

Again Peter if you carefully read my post I said LOAN! I would not need one
of these loans but If I did I have a very high credit score so doubt the
taxpayers money would not be repaid! Same with my friends.
Maybe those on the list do not realize the cost to rebuild a 10,000 hive
operation after 90% hive loss. 10,000 X $50 package = $500,000 plus labor &
feed
costs. Lost income while rebuilding.
$50,000 to rebuild a 1000 hive operation could be as tough to come by for
the 1000 hive beekeeper.

>Wondering, who is going to pick up the check?

I respect your opinion but surprised at your response to not give a
commercial beekeeper a LOAN to stay in business!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. I will be at the Missouri State meeting tomorrow in Hannibal, Missouri
for a few hours during the day. Mainly to pick up a load of supplies from
Nebraska. I hate to miss most of the meeting but working long hours 7 days a
week now.  Will be back on BEE-L later in weekend!