From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 20:24:41 -0600
> Allen Dick posted to my previous query:
> > I'm curious.  Have you sampled your mite levels?  Are other
> > beekeepers in your area treating simultaneously?  What does your
> > local bee extension agent say?  Other local hobbyist and
> > commercial beekeepers?
>
> I have diligently kept grease patties in all my hives all summer
> long, so I'm ASSUMING that tracheal mites are not a problem.  I have
> not done ether rolls to test for varroa, but I have examined drone
> brood, found nothing.  No news of mite infestations from beekeeping
> buddies in my beekeepers association
<snip>
> Seems we're all running
> scared from last year, treating prophylactically to make sure that
> we get even the invisible mites.
<snip>
> If there are beekeepers within flight distance of my yards, I don't
> know of them.  All feral hives (trees and buildings) that I knew of
> last year were gone this spring, some of which hade been there most
> of my lifetime (40 some years).  I have found only one feral hive
> newly established this season and can't say with assuredness from
> whence it came.
<snip>
> Exactly.  Problem is that the latest opinion is that NOW, right NOW,
> is the time to treat.  Have a look at this month's ABJ, which is
> touting NOW as the time to treat for mites to make sure that the
> next and subsequent brood cycle will be mite free to assure that the
> wintering population will be a healthy one.

Okay, Looking at this, I can't see why you believe you have to treat.
 Without an accurate count on the mites (if any), you can only be
driven by fear and speculation.

Do an alcohol wash or a mite drop test and see if you actually have a
problem.  Then you will know what you have to do.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>