From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 15:42:04 -0700
> In the paper Allen referred us to, Harbo's last words were "varroa
> hygiene".

Yes, however, to be accurate, the words may actually be Jeff's, since they
apparently wrote it jointly.

This is one of the questions we have been looking at -- the original and the
expanded uses of the word hygienic, as well as limits to the word's
application when it comes to detecting and removing things from the hive --
if any.  Whether we like it or not, words have specific meanings and if the
meanings change, then so do understandings that depend on them.

Seems hygienic has been extended beyond its original usage to identifying
mites and maybe now means the same as housekeeping.  I'm wondering where the
word ends and posted a question exploring those limits recently.  Don't know
if it made it to the list or not.

The other part of the same discussion, as I recall, was whether SMR bees
exist or not.  I think that the several beekeepers on this list who have
them, and Dr. Harbo's comments settled that part, but this one is a little
tougher, and is somewhat important because the usefulness of words depends
on a common understanding and it is a bit sloppy to extend meanings of
important definition words.

allen

The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our
adversities.
            -- Sophocles