From:
Wayne Rumball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 21:03:00 GMT
 On 11-02-94 [log in to unmask] wrote to ALL...

 > I am aware that the glucose:fructose ration of honey influences
 > significantly
 > the rate at which honey crystalizes.  How is this ration determined.
 > Is
 > there a lab where samples can be sent for this determination.  Can or
 > do
 > they use Infrared spectrophotometry for this?
 > Any info would be appreciated.

The F/G ratio is determined by the floral source of the honey.  Tupelo honey
from Florida has a high fructose content and can take years to crystallize.
Canadian Rapeseed, or CANOLA honey has a very low fructose content and will
crystallize within days of being extracted.

I believe most labs use an HPLC method for testing sugars. One in the US
that might do this for you is ACSC tel 800-842-2272/410-730-7782.  I don't
know the cost.

Wayne Rumball
International Honey Exporters Organisation
ODEM International Inc
Montreal, Canada
---
 * OFFLINE 1.58