From:
Ray Lackey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:26:19 -0500
I would be very cautous in the use of a dehydrator with the bees.  In
the summer, the bees can collect moisture to dilute the honey for feeding to
brood.  My understanding is that they need moisture in the winter for this
process as well.  It is thus beneficial to have some moisture condensation,
not over the cluster perhaps, but accessable.  If we start providing too
much ventilation or moisture removal, we may see increased losses but not
realize w'eve given too much of a good thing.  I commend those of you with
a number of hives who are experimenting and keeping good records.  There is
going to be no quick fix because we are dealing with a living animal which
can compensate for our foolishness within a certain range.  Results are
thus not always conclusive from one test.  If I might suggest some reading,
look in your local library for information on "Design of Experiments".
It is a method of investigating a process with dependencies from a number
of influences.  One we use for teaching it in an electronics research
environment is  'Understanding Industrial Designed Experiments' by Schmidt
and Launsby, available from the publisher for about $70 with PC software
disk included for analysis of the results.  The publisher is AIR Academy
Press, 1155 Kelly Johnson Boulevard, Suite 105, Colorado Springs, CO
80920, phone (800)748-1277.

One of the things I think we need is a metric to use for more rapid feedback
on how well the process is doing without waiting so long.  The information
presented earlier on results beyond survival to splitting was very good and
useful but it took too long.  We need to instrument our tests better to record
parameters such as temperture, humidity, and others that will predict later
performance.  New electronic sensors hooked to a PC for monitoring will
eventually make this possible, if someone will then fund the research.
+    Raymond J. Lackey, EAS Master Beekeeper, VP LIBA      +
+    Twelve years exper with 25 colonies on Long Island, NY+
+    INTERNET: [log in to unmask]                       +
+    Mail: 1260 Walnut Avenue, Bohemia NY 11617-2176       +
+    Home Phone: 516-567-1936  FAX: 516-262-8053           +