From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 15:30:57 +1100
On 14/01/2014 8:43 AM, Peter L Borst wrote:

> While as Jerry says, good ideas may not be recognized if they come
> from unconventional sources, there is also no shortage of bad ideas
> being generated by freelancers. Thinking of quasi-scientists like
> Rudolf Steiner (Biodynamic Agriculture), Willhelm Reich (Orgone
> Energy), L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology), to name a few. The better ones
> found their home in creative fiction (H. G. Wells, Aldous Huxley,
> Phillip K. Dick).

Sometimes the idea or articles usefulness is obvious.  The benefit of
Langstroth's hive must have been almost immediate.  Nearly all the
ancillary equipment we now take for granted appeared in a few years.
Aeroplanes and motor cars were at first just a novelty for rich people.
It was not obvious that this machine I am using now, known as a PC would
be useful in every (well almost every) home.  In fact the early ones
were not.  Of course the prediction, that it, the computer, would mean
we all worked half a day and half a week. The worry was how would we
spend all the new leisure time.   A prediction yet to come true.

Geoff Manning