From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:16:11 -0500
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Lloyd Spear wrote:

Coincidently, Jerry answered this question in the November issue of ABJ.
HFCS 55 is 87% sugar! The 55 is only the fructose content. The 'missing'
13% is apparently water, but I don't know that for sure.

To the List,

I have waited a while for Allen or someone else to speak up.  I really
hate throwing a monkey wrench into the gears when they seem to be running
so smoothly, but I believe that a course correction should be explained
regarding HFCS.

Two references:
(1) Please see the November 2005 American Bee Journal, page 897 of
John Trumpeter’s article “High Fructose Corn Syrup – an Update”. The first
sentence of the second column says, “ Don’t pay for water: 55% HFCS is 23%
water, which means that for every 100 pounds of syrup you buy, you are
getting 23 pounds of water.” That by itself implies that 55%HFCS contains
77% solids by weight; the solids of course are sugars.

(2) Go to Allen’s Diary,
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/default.htm and do a Google Search
for "HFCS" at www.honeybeeworld.com or go directly to Allen’s
HFCS/Sucrose/Bag Sugar Comparison Pricer,
www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/syrup/syrup.xls.  There you will not only find
a marvelous spreadsheet that takes pricing inputs for 55% HFCS, sucrose
syrup, and bag sugar and finds the best one to use predicated upon price.

If you look at the “Concentration (%) lines, Line 7 for HFCS and Line 18
Sucrose Syrup you will find the concentration as a percentage  of 77% and
67.5% respectively.

I believe this should help clear things up.

Cheers,

Chuck Norton