From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:00:29 +1000
> Had I not seen various stages of it, I would suspect CCD.

One of the strange points about CCD in the early years was that SHB did not
attack the empty hive. I don't recall anyone giving an acceptable theory as
to why this happened.

> Currently wondering if termite treatment in the soil will kill larva.  I
would be glad to treat the soil in the yards with it.  Gaurdstar seems to
help,  but I don't know how residual it is in a rainy area like ours.

Here in Australia Permethrin, which is sold as Guardstar, is registered for
soil treatment for SHB.  See
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/plants/weeds-pest-animals-ants/pest-animals/a-z-l
isting-of-pest-animals/photo-guide-to-pest-animals/small-hive-beetle

On the general theme strong hives are often attacked.  The theory of supers
being empty after honey extracting has some merit.  I have seen strong hives
in the middle of a row get taken out.  They were strong and would be the
last ones you expect to see taken out.

Also you often find the most beetles in the strongest hives.  Maybe some
attraction?

When I was queen bee breeding I used mini nucs and was told that I would not
last as SHB would take them out.  This was not the case and another queen
bee breeder who used 10 frame boxes split into 3 X 3 frame nucs had more
problems than me.

We are currently funding research here in Australia looking at trying to
develop an external lure for SHB. It has only just started so will be
watched with interest.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

database 10399 (20140911) __________