From:
Tom Speight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:27:42 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest
processor <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I'm looking for additional data on causes of swarming and/or
>supercedure. As I understand it, a colony will either swarm or raise a
>new queen for one or more of three reasons:
>
>1. Hive crowded/poorly ventilated
Surely this is two reasons. Crowding can be caused by too many bees
and/or brood if queen is prolific, storage space for either nectar or
pollen. If the bees are confined to the hive by inclement weather in a
hive with some undrawn foundation it could give the same effect as
overcrowding.
Poor ventilation can be caused in many different ways including siting
the hives with no shade in the heat of the day.

>2. defective queen
Defective by damage, age, lack of queen pheromone or sperm (Not always
through age, could be a poor mating)

>3. disease such as nosema
Why should they swarm because of nosema? I haven't heard that one
before.
In the spring when nosema is more easily diagnosed it's the normal
swarming season anyway.
>Is there another cause I have missed?
How about: location, weather, nectar flow, genetic trait (races or
strains of race), I've even heard of, but not seen, 'hunger swarms', the
ratio of young/old bees.
Once the bees have decided to swarm, it can be difficult trying to
dissuade them. Destroying queen cells is no guarantee they will not make
more attempts.
Strangley, although these are all possible elements in swarming, none of
them mean that swarming will occur. Probably a combination of factors.

If your queen was clipped, I would suggest that she came out with the
original swarm and was lost, the swarm will then have returned until  a
virgin hatched and led them off.
--
Tom