Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:35:16 EDT
Dispose of those as toxic waste.  We looked at EPA Superfund sites  with
these chemicals and bees as monitors, and we have a brown field across  the
street from us in Missoula that has soils contaminated with these  chemicals.

Our work shows that these chemicals volatilize, go into the wax, etc.   PCP
levels at one site clogged our GC/Mass Spec, cost us two weeks of
instrument  time, plus new columns to fix.

Good preservatives because they hang around more or less forever.   Broad
spectrum affects on animals, fish, algae, etc.   Inhibit a lot  of biological
processes in soils and water.  Air and water pollution  problems.

Glad to see the days of using old railroad ties for terracing gardens has
tended to fall out of favor.  I don't want to eat veggies with these in the
soil, nor do I want it in honey, and if bees contact it or the vapors from
stands on hot days, etc., you may get bee kill.

Jerry