From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:33:55 -0500
> I am also confused as to why anyone is thinking herbicides or fungicides are innocuous.

Well, maybe because it says so on the label.

Round-Up

Arthropod toxicity
Honey bee (Apis mellifera):
Oral/contact, 48 hours, LD50: > 100 μg/bee
Practically non-toxic.

Soil organism toxicity, invertebrates
Earthworm (Eisenia foetida):
Acute toxicity, 14 days, LC50: > 1,250 mg/kg soil
Practically non-toxic.

However, as the study shows, these chemicals may have a very different action when released INSIDE the hives and the larvae are subjected to them. Bottom line is: it isn't enough to THINK there is a problem, we have to prove it.

PLB

PS: cell death is usually referred to as apoptosis. The correct pronunciation is apo-tosis. The second "p" is silent like the p in pterodactyl, or psychiatrist.