From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:28:54 -0400
We may finally be able to view these books on line.  Some I have never
seen and I spend some time at Mann Library looking.  I have only just
gained entrance to"The Vault".  It is not surprising, I guess, that the
very act of preserving these rare volumes for beekeepers has prevented
beekeepers from seeing them.  This project may finally change that.  If
you are interested in donating to this project see;  >
http://easternapiculture.org/programs/phillips.pdf <

Here is a brief update of progress of this project (10/20/03)!

Including the Eastern Apiculture Society  $1000 matching gift, combined
with the $1,625 already contributed by individual Beekeepers, this
brings the amount we've received for the Beekeeping Online Initiative
thus far to a total of $2,625. This contribution will allow Mann to
make important rare historical beekeeping volumes available to a wide
public audience via the World Wide Web.

Ten books have received top ranking by our contributing reviewers and
have been carefully prepared for digitization.  See list below!  These
are ready to be shipped to the scanning vendor off campus. It looks
like the vendor will be ready to receive the first shipment soon.

In anticipation of the beekeeping books being added to the growing
library of digitally preserved historical works, Mann has recently
expanded the capacity for handling post-scanning work in house. The
system allows Mann to inspect and process the digital files for each
book received back from the scanning vendor so that all text in the
book can be easily keyword searched once it is online and all graphic
images in each volume are of acceptable quality.  Once the digitized
volumes are processed through this phase, they'll ready to add to the
publicly accessible Core Historical Literature of Agriculture
collection on the Web (CHLA).

Barring unforeseen delays in the scanning and quality control process,
it looks like the top ten  volumes will be available for viewing on our
CHLA site before the end of this year.

---------------
Top Ten List

Alley, Henry.
Title: The beekeeper's handy book; or, Twenty-two years' experience in
queenrearing, containing the only scientific and practical method of
rearing queen bees, and the latest and best methods for the general
management of the apiary. By Henry Alley
Published: Wenham, Mass., The author, 1883.

Doolittle, Gilbert M., 1846
Title: Scientific queenrearing as practically applied; being a method
by which the best of queenbees are reared in perfect accord with
nature's ways. For the amateur and veteran in beekeeping.
Published: Chicago, T. G. Newman, 1889.

Dzierzon, Jan, 18111906.
Title: Dzierzon's rational beekeeping; or, The theory and practice of
Dr. Dzierzon ... Tr. from the latest German  H. Dieck and S. Stutterd.
Ed. and  Charles Nash Abbott
Published: London, Houlston & sons; [etc., etc.] 1882.

Harbison, W. C. Title: Bees and beekeeping: a plain, practical work:
resulting from years of experience and close observation in extensive
apiaries, both in Pennsylvania and California. With directions how to
make beekeeping a desirable and lucrative business and for shipping
bees to California. Published: N. Y. Saxton 1860

Huber, Francois, 1750-1831.
Title: New observations on the natural history of bees, by Francis
Huber. Translated from the original.
Published: Edinburgh, Printed for J. Anderson; London, Longman, Hurst,
Rees, and Orme, 1806.

Langstroth, L.L. (Lorenzo Lorraine), 18101895.
Title: Langstroth on the hive and the honeybee; a bee keeper's manual.
Published: Northampton, Hopkins, Bridgman, 1853.

Mum, W. Augustus.
Title: A description of the barandframe hive, invented by W. Augustus
Munn, esq. With an abstract of Wildman's Complete guide for the
management of bees throughout the year
Published: London, John Van Voorst, 1844.

Quinby, M. (Moses), 1810-1875.
Title: Mysteries of beekeeping explained: being a complete analysis of
the whole subject; consisting of the natural history of bees,
directions for obtaining the greatest amount of pure surplus honey with
the least possible expense, remedies for losses given, and the science
of "luck" fully illustrated--the result of more than twenty years'
experience in extensive apiaries. By M. Quinby
Published: New York, C. M. Saxton & company, 1853.

Phillips, Everett Franklin, 1878-1951.
Title: Beekeeping; a discussion of the life of the honeybee and of the
production of honey, by Everett Franklin Phillips
Published: New York, The Macmillan company; London, Macmillan & co.,
ltd., 1915..

Root, A. I. (Amos Ives), 18391923.
Title: The ABC and XYZ of bee culture; an encyclopedia pertaining to
scientific and practical culture of bees.
Published: Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. 1879.