From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 08:13:20 -0000
> I think it would be nice to have a library of books that members could
check out, but I worry that they would disappear without a real diligent
person keeping track of them.

We have a librarian who is responsible for looking after the books and
keeping track of loans.  He brings a selection of books to meetings and will
also bring any specific books that members would like to borrow; I publish
the list on our website
http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/SBKADocuments/AssociationLibrary.htm
and send out hard copy once a year to members without the Internet.

>I also wonder how good is the information.  Would the old books give some
old wrong information.

Yes - or there is vital information missing, e.g. on varroa.  That is why I
always suggest that new members stick with one good modern book until they
have some experience; then they can go back to the older books which are
always a good read (sometimes producing a chuckle or two) and often have
some nuggets not published elsewhere.  It is also fascinating to see myths
repeated over the years by those who have written books, but clearly have
little understanding or experience.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W