From:
Garry Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 23:51:49 -0400
Lloyd Spear wrote: "Unfortunately, when I changed it was to
deeps, and now I know I should have changed to mediums."

Lloyd, when I started keeping bees I used two deeps on one hive and three
mediums on the other to see which way I thought was better. The three
mediums are a lot lighter to lift but You also spend more time inspecting
the brood chamber as You have to manipulate thirty frames as compared to
twenty using three deeps.  Last year I started three hives with a medium on
the bottom and a deep above. That setup reminded Me of the depth of the
Jumbo. If You were not going to move the hives would You still feel they
were too heavy to use? Or do You think one Jumbo would not be large enough
for a brood chamber in the Northeast? Only manipulating ten frames would be
a lot faster than thirty.
Thanks,
Garry Libby
Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA