From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:01:09 -0800
>Why I believe that bees need clustering space with open cells...to better
regulate the temperature of the wintering

Mike, I had also always assumed such.  However, I've spoken to Canadian
beekeepers who feed singles prior to wintering until every comb is filled
(45kg total weight goal).  Their bees winter successfully.  So much for our
common sense!

My preliminary temperature measurements suggest that the seams of bees
share heat through the filled combs.

However, I find that the cluster is sometimes hesitant to move up into a
super completely filled with honey, especially if in new white wax.  If I
insert a dark drawn comb into the center of the box of honey, they will
immediately move up and start working sideways.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA