From:
Monarch Watch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:29:16 -0600
There have been a number of posting concerning bees and seeds and it seems
that because several people have found seeds on bottom boards or at hive
entrances,   it seems logical to conclude that bees carry seeds. In any
earlier note I claimed that bees were not structurally adapted to carry
seeds but this is just an assertion based the morphology of the legs and 35
years of observing bees. It could be I've missed something. What we need is
evidence - real observations of bees carrying seeds or even indirect
evidence, say from pollen traps. If bees carry seeds, we should be able to
get this on video, and even if we can't catch them in the act, the seeds
should be scrapped off into the collection box on a good pollen trap - one
which is sound enough to exclude mice. Can't say I've found seeds in pollen
traps (N=50) I've run in the spring myself. Has anyone else?

Monarch Watch
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]
DPLEX-L:  send message "info DPLEX-L" to [log in to unmask]
PHONE:  (913) 864 4051
FAX:  (913) 864 5321
SNAIL:  c/o O.R. Taylor, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of KS, Lawrence KS 66045