From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:24:11 -0600
Hi, Karen uses an electric blower and a generator.  For a few hives, one of
the battery-powered blowers may suffice.  We also use a generator - but
mainly because we power lots of gadgets and don't like the NOISE and since
we sample hives for chemicals, we don't want the exhaust fumes in the yard.

Our solution, we tried a variety of small,portable generators -- most have
a high pitched, irritating sound.  We chose a Honda, at the time, it was
the best in terms of being muffled (just a low, put,put).  On a breezy day,
its hard to tell if its running.

THEN, we got a 100 ft, heavy duty extension cord.  Works great, fussy with
the cord is worth not having to breathe fumes or listen to the motor all
day.  Of course, that far away, when it runs out of gas, you usually
discover it when you switch on the electric device -- didn't hear the
generator stop.

Other advantage of the long cord, in dry conditions, you can put the gas
motor in a safe place (pavement, sidewalk, bed of a truck), rather than
down in the grass where it can start a fire.

Jerry