From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:25:33 -0800
On Jan. 18 Randy Oliver wrote:

> Some growers have decided to forego a crop this year due
> to water prices.  That freed up thousands of colonies that
> are being offered at fire sale prices. CCD may have run
> its course in most operations, making for more supply.
> I won't be placing all of my colonies: (My numbers
> rebounded this year)  If anyone needs a few more colonies
> in North [Sacramento] Valley...

Randy, a major Sacramento Valley newspaper pubished an ominous
sounding article today: HONEY BEES COULD BE IN SHORT SUPPLY
http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_11548637

Excerpts: CHICO - Honey bees used for crop pollination are
taking a beating....Particularly at risk are almond farmers who
need a massive number of bee hives at almond bloom in early
February. Finding a way to foster native bee populations is a
one possible strategy to supplement the rental of bees.

Mace Vaughan works with the Xerces Society noted some
farmers are opting not to grow almonds due to uncertainty
with bees, as well as the increased cost for bee rental due
to shortages. "With fewer bees available, it's important to
diversify the pollinators and expand habitat," Vaughan said.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.