From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:25 -0400
J. Waggle wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am seeking cures and remedies for bee stings, especially strange obscure
> cures.

 From a strange and obscure, but not an historical source, namely
myself:  The flowers of honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) crushed and
applied to the sting immediately have surprising powers to cool the pain
and prevent swelling.  The growing leafy tips of vines will substitute
if no flowers are present.  It has traditional cooling uses in Oriental
medicine. It came to mind after a fellow beekeeper got an ear sting,
prone to swelling for him, and I automatically looked for a suitable
plant.  Growing up in the Virgin Islands papaya (and the protease
papain) was always handy and quite effective in denaturing some of the
proteins.  Honeysuckle is better, tho, and here in South Carolina
readily available.  I freeze some flowers for the off-season.