Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:50:29 -0400
Ruary wrote: "Fries who originally did not that that
the two species could be discriminated by light microscopy later
changed his
opinion on the matter, but did say that experience in looking at thees
was
needed before the discrimination could be made."

A few years ago, with Dave Cushman and others from the Irish List, we
had a 'hands on' microscopy day in a village hall on Salisbury Plain.
To give you a clue as to the year, Ceri Colingborn (now Cryer) was
there when she was still World Honey Queen.  Selwyn at FERA kindly gave
me samples of both Nosemae to play with.  I have the phials before me
now, taken from the fridge.  The labels are now illegible!

As I recall, seeing the samples side by side, generally the Nc appeared
to be a little shorter than Na, but spores (if spores they are) of Na,
if not absolutely horizontal to the eye, can appear to be foreshortened
and so look very much like Nc.

Chris