Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:47:30 -0800
Aaron Morris wrote:

> > What do the dairy farmers have that beekeepers don't?
> An organized voice?  A flush Dairy Council?  Lobbiests?
> $$$$,$$$,$$$.$$?

This thread is good and may open a few minds.
Why are the dairy farmers on top of the game? They came to realize early
on , what they needed to do as a group to make all of there lives
easier.They did not just go after the market place. The breeding for
milk production was one big step.It worked and they used it.That brought
in more product and increased there bottom line.More money and then they
used it to promote there product and still more money in there pocket.
 Why can't beekeepers get to the same place with an organized voice?They
will settle for less and complain about there problems.A few producer-
packers went with the packers in setting up the NHB.I'm still shaking my
head at the lay out of that organization.Keep the fox in the hen
house.Until that changes, US producers will stay in there place.No real
control over what the public will buy.I'm not against the packers. They
have there own businesses to run.There tune is different by nature. Buy
low and sell high.They are very smart and up to now have controlled the
market place.They are using US producers money to promote the sale of
Honey. No matter where it comes from.

  As long as enough producers
> have enough honey and are willing to sell it cheaply enough to meet the
> packers' needs, prices will remain depressed.  Who's the bad guy here,
> the buyer who offers a low price or the seller who accepts the low
> offer?
 That is the bottom line.The problem comes in , when the seller needs to
move his honey to pay the bills.Its down to, who's in the barrel.If it
was down to US honey selling in the stores, the shoe would be on the
other foot.To get there is a problem that needs a lot of work by US
producers.The market needs to be set. Education of the public of the US
of the product needs to be in place.Everyone of us have a place there
and need to get the word out on our own.I have developed my own market
in Seattle.It takes time and you may have to give talks to schools and
other groups. But the reward is real and green.That is small scale and
needs to be done all over the US and then watch what is selling on the
store shelves.Its simple, you control it or someone else will control it
for you.We have a long way to go, but we can get there, Just like the
Dairy Farmers.

Ideas are great but work provides results.

Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck