From:
Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:31:53 +22324924
Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter, wrote:

>    We can take two different approaches to solution.  One is to control every
> type of stress at every turn, using medications and pesticides to hit all
> diseases and parasites; the other is to focus intensely on breeding a
> stronger bee.
>
>    I guess they are not mutually exclusive, but for my money, the second
> method looks more promising for the long haul.

Breeding programs require funding and a long-term commitment. They also
are risky. The beekeeping industry probably needs to focus on bee breeding
and it's importance before any breeding programs even begin to be
conceived. For every beekeeper who knows that bee breeding is the solution
to the current conditions in apiculture, there are twenty-five who'd
rather make more profit now and treat their bees with whatever works.

skeptical,

Adam

--

Adam Finkelstein