From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:52:02 +0000
In message <1490DEDD49524F3BB3857F2B2066A5DB@office>, Peter Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I am just wondering if a temporary situation would be possible in a
>colony, where a large proportion of the workers were from one patriline
>but a large proportion of the brood was from a different one.  Could
>this have a negative (short term) effect on the colony?

The simplest case is after requeening. The young queens brood will all
be of patrilines at variance with all the patrilines of the adult bees.

However, that is a rather facile answer.

With stock with varying coloured matings you do occasionally see the
queen produce a colour change part way through her life. Its not common
but we have seen it, a colony predominantly with yellow phase workers
and some black shifts to predominantly dark and some yellow or vica
versa.

Colour is the only criterion I can say I have seen it happen in, and its
not common. I assume that this is due to poor mixing of the sperm in the
queen, and if it happens in the way that is noticeable by colour it
probably occasionally happens as well when the differences are not
obvious.
--
Murray McGregor