From:
Madeleine Pym <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:24:19 -0000
Hi one and all,

This may amuse all but is a request to any beekeepers close to London.

I have just had a request for 'about two bathfuls' of honey (yes it is
serious) by a couple of young British artists who are planning some sort of
installation which will use honey as a screen to project images through.

Apparently honey does all sorts of holographic type strange things to
images!
(Would I be right in assuming this is to do with the way it refracts light?)

Anyway, I don't have 2 bathfuls but said I would ask around. I suggested it
may be a way of disposing of honey that wasn't quite up to grade - so to
speak - perhaps some old  honey kicking around that had begun to ferment
slightly, for example. This could be heated to a point that would reclarify
it and stop further fermentation. And perhaps would give the beekeeper a bit
of cash for an unsaleable product and mean that they could afford the stuff.

What do you think gang does that sound like it might work? And are there any
beekeepers willing to admit to having some sub-standard honey available?

I must say I thought I had heard it all until today.
London is a strange and surprising place to live.

My young artists also want to record bee sounds and I have said they can
have a go - another good reason for having open mesh floors - if they can
hear anything at this time of year. But suggested they search the web for
recordings. Can anyone recommend some sites?

I think I had better give them a bit of warning about the weight of a couple
of bathfuls - can't imagine what sort of structure they will need to make.
Also make some sort of arrangements for its use/disposal afterwards as we
don't need an outbreak of foulbrood, etc. should the honey contain bacteria
or spores.

Madeleine Pym