From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2017 08:06:20 -0400
Hi all
In my opinion, this issue was essentially cleared up by work by VISSCHER AND VETfER.

The defensive behavior of colonies of Vespula pensylvanica (Saussure) and
Bombus sonorus Say is assayed with an easily-constructed electronic monitor that counts the
number of impacts of insects attacking Ping-Pong ball targets. Black targets are attacked, and
white targets are not. The administration of smoke to colonies before disturbing them greatly
reduces the number of attacks. In B. sonorus, the reduction was >2-fold and in V pensylvanica
> 10-fold. This suggests mechanisms of the effect of smoke besides those that have been
described for honey bees. This effect may be useful to subdue these insects during insecticide
treatments to destroy their nests.

We found mention of the traditional use of
smoke from pyrotechnic devices to subdue wasps
when raiding their colonies for brood for human
consumption in Japan (Matsuura & Yamane 1984)
and for fishing bait in the USA

Visscher, K. P., & Vetter, R. S. (1995). Smoke and target color effects on defensive behavior in yellowjacket wasps and bumble bees (Hymenoptera: Vespidae, Apidae) with a description of an electronic attack monitor. Journal of economic entomology, 88(3), 579-583.