From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:37:41 -0600
Ellen said:
It is my only location where I get a super or two of a spearminty tasting
honey that I suspect is basswood. (June flow- does that sound right?)

According to John Lovell from his book "Honey Plants of North America"
Basswood (Tilia Americana)  at one time furnished more white honey than any
other honey plant in the U.S.  except for Alfalfa and white clover (pg.67).

Due to logging many large areas of Basswood have been reduced dramatically
since the 1920's. There still are areas of Basswood trees in the Midwest but
most beekeepers report (like Ellen) the Basswood honey has distinct minty
taste. It is my opinion that another plant blooming at the same time adds
the distinct flavoring our area. Possibly a wild mint.

John Lovell:
"Honey extracted before it is sealed over has a rather strong flavor; but
when sealed and fully ripened in the hive it is considered one of the best
table honeys"

Frank Pellett from his book "American Honey Plants"(pg.52)

"The honey is white in color, with a rather strong flavor, but is usually
regarded as high quality"

A south Missouri packer will not buy principal source Basswood honey as the
honey looks exactly like our premium white Clover honey and many consumers
expecting Clover flavor are disappointed even to the point of calling his
office to complain.

 He now sells the Basswood only as a Varity honey or uses the Basswood as a
blend (white color) but he told me personally it takes quite a bit of blend
to get the Basswood not to still have the strong flavor.

I only speak for our Midwest area Basswood and the situation may be entirely
different in your area of the planet.

Once you recognize the flavor of principal source Midwest Basswood you can
spot the honey ,often times sold as "Clover honey". Black Locust honey is
often sold as Clover honey in our area.

Basswood, Clover, Soybean and Black Locust honey are often sold in our area
under the "Blue Vine" label. Although "Blue Vine" makes an excellent
specialty honey Blue Vine forage is getting very scarce and  not dependable.
One of the largest producers of Blue Vine honey in our area moved a hundred
hives into a blooming Blue Vine area about five years ago only to return a
few weeks later to find starving hives and no Blue vine honey in the supers.

Bob

BEE-L has no "Frequently Asked Questions",
but any topic can be reviewed by searching
the  archives.  The archives are the FAQ!
BEE-L archives can be searched at:
 http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l