From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 09:11:55 EDT
Paul Cronshaw queried about some of the characters in
_Following_the_Bloom_ and also about the impact of AHB on the future of
migratory beekeeping in the US.

I got into a bidding war with Andy Card over a framed, date of first
issue bee stamp at the ABF conference in Norfolk last January.  Andy is
alive and well and bigger in life than he is in the book!  He is also
bankrolled far better than I.  Reggie Wilbanks I believe was also in
attendance.

Concerning the spread of AHB, it has not spread as far or as quickly
into the US as was prophesied, but only time will tell.  AHB's effect
in Latin and South America was initially one of great impact - many
beekeepers got out of it, but the industry is rebounding as beekeepers
learn to work with the AHB, both through handling and breeding.  There is
promise with hybridized strains of the AHB.  Unfortunately in the wild,
AHB has been the dominate strain.  The bees are more aggressive in
competition with their European counterparts when it comes to foraging
and the drones are more aggressive when it comes to mating with virgin
queens.  Hence the AHB genes are more likely to get passed on than the
European genes.  The potential to spread AHB through migratory beekeeping
practices is undeniable and the migratory beekeepers are not ones to
take quarantines lying down.  I doubt that Varroa would have spread as it
did without the help of a few semis.  But who knew?  The best we can do is
keep an eye out for aggressive strains, either requeen with a gentler queen
or cull that stock altogether and hope that the migratories do the same.

It seems that the solution to the new problems confronting beekeeking
(mites and AHB) is to become better beekeepers!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!