From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 18:36:28 -0400
Pete:

>>I think you are putting too much emphasis on the responsibility of the pest control operator and not enough on the home owner.

It’s a voluntary program.
If the pest control company follows
bee friendly guidelines, they will
get recognition for it. If they don’t
they won’t.

>>1) DIY. For less than ten bucks you can get a big can of non-toxic wasp and hornet killer (contains detergent, mint oil, etc). But they have to seal up the cavity, obviously, or the problem will recur.

I do not think a can of hornet
killer sprayed into a hole will
be effective in killing a mature
colony. I can’t begin to count
how many bee removals I went to
with 2 or 3 empty cans of wasp
killer laying on the ground
which were emptied into the void
without the desired effect.

I also consider your advice not
so complete.  What do you tell
them later that summer, when 50 pounds
of honey start dripping thru the drywall
and other pests start showing up for
a meal?  the damage can soar to hundreds
of dollars.

As a licensed pesticide applicator,
I do not advise homeowner on ‘do it
yourself exterminating’,  this can
be dangerous. This, I have to say
is simply bad advice.

>>2) Hire somebody to kill the bees. I don't think most pest control operators do home repair, nor should they be expected to.

They most certainly do minor repairs.
For effective control of rodents
for example, the procedure is to repair
access points.  Caulking, screen, cement
all used to eliminate harborage for all
pests.

>>3) The most expensive option. Hire a beekeeper, who may have to tear away boards, etc. and charge an arm & a leg.

My fee to remove a colony is about
$150 more than what exterminators
charge to kill a colony. If they
were exterminated, it would
cost the homeowner an additional
several hundred dollars to have
a contractor come in to remove
the honey from the wall and re
assemble.  So humane bee removal
is very cost effective.

>>They are a nuisance and a serious risk when in a house.

Not always…
Colonies can remain in houses for years
without the homeowners knowledge.
I know of a few colonies in churches,
and houses, they have never posed a
serious risk or even a nuisance.

>>People should not be made to feel guilty about having to kill bees that have invaded their houses.

The act of educating the consumer
does not surmount to an attempt
to make them feel guilty.  I have never
advised a homeowner not to kill bees.