From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:27:35 +0100
Allen quotes George : "When I started in  1933, stings produced swelling and
itching which lessened as I got more  stings; but 30 years later, I had
learned so much BEE BEHAVIOR that I
> was not getting stung very often and my developed immunity titer lost
> its volume from lack of use. Then I suddenly got a bunch of stings, and
> my body could not handle it".

This is the worrying scenario.  Beekeepers are urged now to keep quiet
bees - I have killed off rough colonies , and in particular 'followers' who
wait till u unveil 50 yards away , so this season have been stung only say 6
times when handling colonies without veil or gloves. That is getting
dangerously low, and must be common experience now for many beekeepers.

The best book overall seems to be Dr L R Croft (Dept of Biological Sciences,
Salford Uny), Allergy to Bee Stings and its Prevention, 1988, 80pages, ISBN
0 946019 03 7.   Not a bundle of laughs. A table lists all deaths from
stings recorded in literature 1835 to 1982 - several had association with
bees as beekeepers but it is not clear any worked full time with  bees.
Most at risk are beekeepers and families - beekeepers inhale fine dust when
hives are first opened as well as from clothes. Beekeepers get warning since
sensitivity increases by stages before the final sting brings on shock.

Women are more sensitive than men - but pregnant women have aborted after
only one sting.

Worst thought from skimming the book is that I often get a bee in the hair
when working without veil and smack it quickly, leaving smeared venom.  Then
I put my head all night right close up to my wife's nose.....

Number of deaths is small - but bee venom is as toxic as rattlesnake, and
bees can deliver it better -  deaths exceed snake bite (Oertel and Loehr
1984 estimated   50 to 100 per year in US), and all sudden deaths in the
countryside should be tested for bee stings - symptoms are similar to heart
failure.

Normal desensitisation involves 18 injections over 20 weeks, dose builds to
equal of 2 stings. BUT sensitivity is increased just after an injection, so
treatment is NOT started between May and August for risk of a natural sting
bringing on shock.  SO,  does that mean beekeepers who are becoming
sensitive should make sure they start getting 1 sting a week in say Feb,
rising to 2 per week?  And should we perform our own apitherapy, putting
bees on the hand and pressing to make them sting?

Robin Dartington