From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 20:11:15 +0000
"Or do perhaps some worried New York State beekeepers really have something exceptional to hide? "

Robin, I'm a NY BeeWellness instructor who has been at every workshop offered since the inception of the program except for the one at the summer ESHPA picnic in 2013. I also help members of our Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club (a club Pete Borst is an officer in) figure out what has gone wrong with their hives. Consequently, I have met many NYS beekeepers, and I can assure you that most of them would very much welcome a state inspection program, especially if there was an insurance plan such as you describe that would help us to self-insure losses incurred when occasional outbreaks of AFB happen. The small-scale keepers I know want to prevent disease and other debilities among their bees. They do care, they want healthy hives, and they are trying to learn how to be better beekeepers. (However, none of these people are commercial beekeepers.)

The issue causing trouble with a statewide NYS inspection program lies elsewhere.

Thanks to Pete, Aaron, Jim, and Mark for sharing what they know about our terrible NYS situation.
Christina