From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:58:36 -0700
--- Michael Traynor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/research/cell-nf.htm

Hello Michael,

I remember this test! AKA  "the patchwork test"

Brother Adam said:
"In the case of the honeybee however the breeder is
confronted not with isolated individuals but with a
society, or to put it more scientifically, with a
superorganism, an extraordinarily well regulated and
well ordered system and a structure whose individual
parts operate in perfect harmony."

The study was basically a 'mite test' and not a 'cell
size test'.  They did manage to find out what mites
can do, but not what small cell can do as it relates
to the colony as a single organism.  It is really
unbelievable that the scientists at the Swedish
University performed this cell size study failed to
understand this basic fundamental knowledge as Brother
Adam has.  The suppression of mites from small cell
works as a result of it's overall effect on entire
colony as a 'superorganism', and not from it's effect
as a patchwork, because the average cell size of the
entire colony would be the influencing factor in this
superorganism and not the patchwork.

...However, my open mind will continue to question
> whether it is the size
> of the cell or other factors contributing to the
> small cell beekeepers
> successes.

From my experience that it is NOT cell size alone
contributing to my success.  Most of the beekeepers
that I know that have assumed this, have failed, or
had a tough time with small cell.  Small cell is only
1/3 of the equation.  It's the small cell effects on
the fundamental workings of the colony in breeding and
other factors that seem to bring out it's full
potential.  Only after I regressed and forced
supercedure did I see a great leap forward in disease
suppression and other desired traits coming forward.

IF I may quote Brother Adam again:
"For long periods of time the bee has adapted herself
to her surroundings solely by means of the weeding out
of all unsuitable individuals.  The experiments made
by Dr.  J.  Louveaux, who transferred strains of bees
from the Paris area to southern France and vice versa,
are examples of adaptation to local conditions.  But
this means only that these strains or local types in
the given conditions will, when left to themselves,
pull through best."

During my 3rd year of regression, I found that the
commercial queens I had were performing so poorly on
small cell in comparison to the ferals, I decapitated
every commercial queen I had and requeened with a
feral.  IMO, acclimatisation of your bees to fit your
environment is of upmost importance.

Dee Lusby has mentioned 3 parts needed for honeybees
to thrive.

1/3 is environmental, small cell size

1/3 is diet, selecting locations with a variety of
nutritional forage.

1/3 is breeding, the Acclimatisation of your bees to
fit your local environment.

If one follows these things, they will have better
success with small cell.  because success with 'small
cell organic beekeeping' cannot be done in
"patchwork".  It must include the "whole bee" and it's
needs.
That, is what small cell is all about, the Whole Bee.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
http://www.biologicalbeekeeping.com