Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:33:57 -0800
>> Interestingly, even after trying many different highly rated products,
>> the original simple yeast/soy/sugar/pollen formula has proven the most
>> popular and enduring product by far.  There may be better formulas out
>> there, but as far as bang for the buck is concerned, this seems to be the
>> beekeepers' choice.

I might add that the formula resulted from our conclusions long discussions
here on BEE-L and input from many list members.  I am amazed at its success.
I know it really helped us and made wintering a much less variable
proposition since feeding patties in spring seemed to -- somehow -- give the
bees a health advantage that lasted all season.

>Way back when there was a discussion on feeding patties from a feeding
>station instead of directly in the hive. Any new or old thoughts about
>that?

I can't recall such discussion, but it seems unlikely to me that bees would
reliably collect chunks of patty from outside the hive, but we did have
reports that bees will gather wax on occasion, so I have to say simply that
I do not know.  I do know that BeePro and other dust mixtures are fed
successfully from feeders in spring and are about the only way to keep bees
out of cattle and other livestock feeder and bins.

That does remind me, though that I have heard reports that California
beekeepers are feeding Global's patties _on the bottom board_ in warm
weather with good success.

I would never have believed that, since I always advocate having the patties
within two inches of brood, but apparently it is true.  Can anyone
corroborate this?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/pollenpatties.htm
---
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best - and therefore
never scrutinize or question. -- Stephen Jay Gould (1941 - 2002)