Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:30:01 -0500

> So why don't a management system based on natural selection work there
> when it works here? That it works is proven in almost every other place
> than America. What makes american beekeepers so happy about paying for
> those drugs they really don't need? Or is everyone that use them certain about
> the need? I doubt that.

I think there could be a number of issues at work in trying to find a
correct answer to these questions. I think the first is "natural
selection". Nature has no problem in ending the existance of a species.
There have been more species taken out through nature than man could ever
lay claim too. It should not be a problem to think that "nature" would
have bees extinct in North America.

Another issues is the environment one is trying to raise bees in. I do not
medicate a hive unless I have observed a reason to do so. I do not see AFB
in my hives yet my bees are from the same queen breeders that others who
require medication use. There just seem to be areas where EFB and AFB will
damage an operation without almost constant attention. Some of this could
be a result of how well others in your area are taking care of thier
hives, or how well your government is requiring others to take care of
their hives.

In many areas of the USA the bee inspection program is not doing well. As
a result sources for AFB infection are becoming common. This problem
should take care of itself in time but we do have a high density of
beekeepers here and a lot of them are very mobil. The fact that commercial
beekeeping can be a very low margin bussiness and you can see why some
operators will "mask" an AFB problem with a dose of Anti-Biotics so they
do not have to destroy hives.

Add in the additional stress of the mites and the bees are having a lot of
stress put on them. I am sure there are other factors I have not
considered but I cannot discount that many on the list are good beekeepers
and are not following a course of treatment without good reason.