From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:20:34 -0500
Hi Tom -

> Now there is a deafening silence from the same Dr R.
>
> Could the silence be the most eloquent testimony possible to the failure of
> the FGMO approach?

I suppose it could be taken that way but I think not.  I've continued to
stay in touch with Dr. Rodreguiz over the years and know that his work with
FGMO continues on with varying degrees of success.  I think he has chosen
not to get into debates over the use of FGMO due to previous years of
criticism and instead spend his time furthering his work.

> eventually disappear into silence, because their genuine beliefs, like those
> of Dr R are fundamentally flawed?.

Fundamentally flawed?  Fundamentally?  How so?  I see it as fundamentally
sound but still in need of a workable application method.  It may not be the
end all of miticides for varroa but it has already been shown to be
effective to some degree by others.  I'm confident that Food Grade Mineral
Oil kills varroa mites.  It may not kill 100 percent of the mites in a hive
but nothing else does either.  I've decided to hold any judgement on the
issue until the work is done.

Some report back that FGMO does not work.  I think they should say FGMO by
itself applied in the method they used (whatever that was) did not work to
keep the mite levels within an acceptable range for them.  Used in
conjunction with other methods (excluding Apistan) could produce an entirely
different result.  Or maybe it would allow someone to only have to treat
with Apistan once a year instead of twice.  Too many variables for this
beekeeper to say it's flawed.  Don't believe everything you hear.  This goes
both ways.

-Barry

--
West Chicago, Illinois