From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:40:51 -0500
>Bailey in Honey Bee Pathology p.94-95 states "Applying the antibiotic as a
dust or in solid sugar candy is ineffective (Furgala and Gochnauer, 1969b)
[ Am. Bee J. 109, 218-219]

Not sure about solid sugar candy due to the temp etc. but as far as dusting
go dusting IS the recommended way most antibiotics are recommended used.
Tylosin is best dusted.

I have a hard time believing fumidil would be ineffective by dusting unless
the fumidil is too grainy. In a real fine powder I would think fumidil mixed
with powdered sugar would be effective but I am only a beekeeper.
What do the researchers on the list say?

Dusting has *long* been the recommended method of delivery of antibiotics to
honey bees. Beekeepers keep trying to put the antibiotics in syrup. Putting
antibiotics in syrup is similar to us  taking all our bottle of antibiotics
the first day instead over a period of days. By three correctly timed
dustings the bees are exposed to the antibiotic for a period of time.

Surely fumidil is intended to be used by the bees for a period of time or
you would simply dump the fumidil in a single gallon instead of the
recommended two gallons.

I am not sure *ineffective* is the right word to describe fumidil dusting
and maybe saying dusting is not the best way to use the product would have
been better.

bob

--
believed to be clean.